National Railway Operator
- Metre and Standard
New lines are standard gauge replacing the older metre gauge.
- 25 kV 50 Hz for the Addis Ababa–Djibouti Railway
- 750 V DC overhead for Addis Ababa LRT
Rule of the road
Left (Right on Addis Ababa LRT);
- Online: Railways Through Europe - out of date
- Printed: World Rail Atlas - North, East and Central Africa by Neil Robinson - out of date
- Online: unofficial timetable information is available at Fahrplancenter. Note that this may be substantially out of date.
- Printed: summary timetables are available in some editions of the European Rail Timetable.
Information is available at the Man in Seat 61.
Addis Ababa has a 2 line, 32 km, standard gauge Light Rail System run by the Ethiopian Railway Corporation (ERC).
See UrbanRail for system diagram.
Recent and Future Changes
The 760 km standard gauge Addis Ababa–Djibouti Railway commenced operation in 2018.
Ethiopia aims to build a 5,000 km network of standard gauge railways.
See the Railways section in Transport in Ethiopia.
The 392 km standard gauge Awash-Weldiya Railway is under construction.
The 216 km standard gauge Weldiya-Mekelle Railway is under construction.
Obscure and Sparse Passenger Services