National Railway System
National Railway Operator
Tanzania Railways Corporation (TRC) is a state-owned enterprise which operates the following lines:
- Central Line: Dar es Salaam - Dodoma (the political capital) - Kigoma (on Lake Tanganyika), with a branch to Mwanza (on Lake Victoria).
- Tanga Line: Tanga - Arusha.
- Korogwe - Ruvu, linking the two lines above.
- The Tanzania Standard Gauge Railway, when this opens
The Tanzania-Zambia Railway Authority (TAZARA), which operates the Dar es Salaam - New Kapiri Mposhi (Zambia) line.
- Online: unofficial timetable information is available at Fahrplancenter. Note that this may be substantially out of date.
- Printed: summary timetables are available in some editions of the European Rail Timetable.
Extensive information is available at the Man in Seat 61, including the TAZARA service to Zambia.
World Rail Atlas - North, East and Central Africa by Neil Robinson.
TRC: Metre gauge. The Standard Gauge Railway will be 1435mm
TAZARA: 1067mm (3ft 6in)
None at present. The Standard Gauge Railway will be 25kV AC
Rule of the road
All lines are single track
No detailed information known
Recent and Future Changes
The Tanzania Standard Gauge Railway, providing a link to Rwanda and Uganda, is under construction.
- Phase 1, Dar es Salaam – Morogoro: completed in April 2022 and is at present under test.
- Phase 2, Morogoro – Makutopora: scheduled completion was by December 2022, but this has not yet been achieved.
- Phase 3, Makutupora – Tabora: contract placed but no further information
- Phases 4,5 & 6: No information available, but probably as yet unfunded.
Obscure and Sparse Passenger Services